Application developers, technical support, and system programmers with the desire and need to understand how z/OS Connect EE (Enterprise Edition) fits into your enterprise.
You are being tasked with development of APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) into your z/OS environment. You have heard of z/OS Connect but are not sure what it is or how it can help. Then this course is for you. We will first cover just what z/OS Connect is and what it can provide. After that we will take a look at how it is implemented with CICS, Db2, MQ, and batch applications. The workshops included will focus on implementation of applications rather than coding. With z/OS Connect, z/OS Connect Toolkit, and the newer versions of Enterprise COBOL and CICS TS the coding effort has been minimalized.Note: This course is 1 1/2 - 2 days.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Understand what z/OS Connect can provide
- Understand the use of the RESTful API functions
- Understand JSON (Java Script Object Notation) and how it fits in with your API
- Understand the use of the z/OS Connect EE API Toolkit for building your APIs
- Understand the changes to z/OS Connect server to implement your APIs
- Understand how to implement your API within a CICS application
- Understand how to implement your API within a Db2 application
- Understand how to implement your API within a batch MQ application
Students having a strong background with z/OS JCL, TSO/ISPF, SDSF, plus COBOL programming is preferred. A conceptual understanding of CICS, Db2, or MQ will be beneficial. No actual COBOL coding will be performed during the workshops, just a review of the provided application program.