Application developers, mainframe support staff, and systems programmers.
XPEDITER is a debugging and abend intercept tool that runs interactively in full screen mode as well as in a batch environment. You will learn to interactively allocate files, maintain multiple test profiles, interrupt and restart execution at any point, trace logic flow, bypass undesired program code, and monitor, display and modify program variable contents. You will be able to temporarily insert XPEDITER/TSO debugging statements, and view the log that XPEDITER maintains of all user activity during test sessions.This course uses programs with a variety of typical abend and logic errors to illustrate each command. Students debug a variety of actual abends and program failures in this extensively hands-on course.This course is a prerequisite to our other XPEDITER courses, such as XPEDITER/CICS and XPEDITER/Db2.Site must have TSO logons with XPEDITER Online installed. Each student needs a PC or terminal with mainframe access.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Setup and use XPEDITER/TSO.
- Define and create DDIO files and test profiles.
- Compile and link programs under XPEDITER/TSO.
- Create and maintain file allocation lists, user profiles, and test scripts.
- Setup a basic test session.
- Effectively use the primary and line commands to debug programs, including setting breakpoints, examining and modifying data, counting execution of lines, altering execution logic, etc.
- Access the log and script files.
Knowledge of COBOL programming.