View Related Video
Experienced Java programmers who want to learn how to use the new features added in Java 8.
Java 8 introduces a number of revolutionary capabilities - many of them centered on lambda expressions and functional-style programming. These capabilities add powerful new programming techniques to the language, but also add complexity. This concise course is focused on introducing the new capabilities and how to use them. It includes numerous code examples and programming labs that illustrate all of the new capabilities.The course is hands on, and requires that students be comfortable with writing general Java code at an intermediate level, including the use of interfaces.All labs are done within the Eclipse IDE, and the lab instructions include detailed directions on using it.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Be familiar with the additions to Java interfaces
- Understand and use functional interfaces
- Understand lambda expressions and method references, and use them to pass behavior (methods)
- Learn about the pre-defined functional interfaces, and use them with lambda expressions
- Understand and use the Stream API
- Process collections using streams, including chaining operations and using collectors
- Understand and use parallel streams
- Understand and deal with the issues of parallel processing
- Learn and use the new Data/Time API
- Be familiar with other new capabilities
Requires that students be comfortable with writing general Java code at an intermediate level, including the use of interfaces.