Application programmers, system programmers, technical support, and testers.
This course will introduce students to the skills necessary to the File-AID for MVS product from Compuware Corporation. A series of lab exercises will be used to reinforce the classroom education.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Use File-AID to browse and edit standard MVS file types (including VSAM).
- Apply a COBOL or PL/I layout to a dataset and reformat the layout as required.
- Build and apply selection criteria to specify the records to be accessed within a dataset.
- Populate a dataset by copying or extracting data from sequential or VSAM datasets.
- Reformat existing record layouts to generate new datasets.
- Use File-AID to compare datasets.
- Modify File-AID system parameters as required.
Introduction to MVS/ESA, or equivalent experience, TSO/ISPF, or equivalent experience. A working knowledge of COBOL or PL/1 programming techniques is helpful, but not required. A working knowledge of VSAM datasets is helpful, but not required.