Developers and new technical support personnel using the IBM mainframe and z/OS operating system.
You are tasked with development on an IBM mainframe using the z/OS environment and wonder what this thing called USS (UNIX System Services) really is. Today almost every product contains a USS component. During this course, we will provide you with the knowledge to advance your development skills and demystify USS for your use. This knowledge will be particularly useful to developers involved with CICS Web Services, Java application running under z/OS, or any RESTful style of applications. The topics are reinforced through the use of hands-on workshops.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the basic USS environment
- Understand and use some USS commands
- Work comfortably with OMVS, ISHELL, and TSO/ISPF environmental interfaces to USS
- Understand and work with the USS directory structure
- Understand the basic function of zFS data sets
- Understand and work with file editing under USS
- Understand file and directory security capabilities under USS
Introduction to z/OS, or equivalent experience. Working knowledge of TSO/ISPF and z/OS JCL, or equivalent experience. Previous experience in designing and coding application programs.