Application programmers who want to learn COBOL.
This course provides application developers with basic knowledge in developing COBOL programs in a mainframe environment. It is designed for both new and experienced programmers. They will learn as much COBOL in 1 week to make them instantly productive in maintaining changes or writing new programs. Students will have hands on workshops of programs to code, test, and compile for report writing and file processing.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Code and test COBOL batch programs
- Understand the principles and practices of “Structured Coding”
- Be able to create reports and process input and output files
- Code table array handling. Search table arrays.
- Understand keyed and non-keyed (sequential) files
- Understand the more common ABENDS that may occur and how to handle them
- Review file status codes. Review COBOL standards and guidelines (Best Practices)
Familiarity with z/OS JCL, TSO/ISPF and z/OS Utilities and a programming background is preferred.