For Information Technology professionals (application programmers, database administrators, systems administrators, and systems programmers) who want a basic understanding of, or who work with or manage an IMS System (IMS DB, IMS DB/DC, or IMS DBCTL).
This course is designed to present an introduction to the basic and enhanced facilities of IMS (Information Management System) and its use in today’s IS environment.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify of the components of an IMS system
- Describe the services provided by and the control blocks used by the IMS database manager
- Identify the IMS database organization types and optional implementations including secondary indexing and logical relationships
- Describe the components and services of the IMS Transaction manager and MFS
- Describe the flow of a message through IMS
- Identify the components of IMS DB and IMS TM application programs
- Describe the advantages of IMS Fast Path and how it differs from IMS DB/DC
- Describe ways to connect IMS to other systems
- Describe ways to improve the availability IMS,
- Describe ways in which IMS supports the Web
- Describe tasks to support and control the IMS environment.
An introductory knowledge of Enterprise Systems hardware and software.